Work Permits / Permanent Residence

  • MIE conducts verification of non-SA citizen work permits
  • Ensure that the individual has a permit to work in the relevant position.

Quota work permits:

  • As part of its economic growth plan, the government has made a pre-determined number of visas available to address skills shortages in certain occupations, such as engineers, artisans and technical skills.
  • The quota work permit remains valid for as long as the permit holder is employed within the area of expertise and permit holders are required to report to the Department of Home Affairs on an annual basis in order to confirm that they continue to be employed in their designated professions.

General work permits:

  • Issued to foreigners with general qualifications who intend to work in South Africa.
  • General work permits are valid for the duration of the contract of employment.

Exceptional skills work permits:

  • This is for highly skilled or exceptionally qualified foreign nationals who want to work in South Africa.
  • This permit is valid for a period of 3 years.

Intra-company transfer work permits:

  • Granted to those who are being transferred by their company to work in a South African company.
  • This permit is valid for a period of 2 years and cannot be renewed or extended.

Temporary Residence Permits

  • Temporary residence permits are issued on request to applicants who intend to visit South Africa for a period of over three (3) months but not exceeding three (3) years. A Work Permit can also be classified under a Temporary permit category.

Permanent Residence Permits

  • A foreigner qualifies for a direct permanent residence permit if the applicant has lived in South Africa on the basis of a work permit for a minimum of 5 years.

Permanent Residency-on-other-grounds permits applies to foreigners who:

  • are in possession of a permanent work offer in South Africa
  • have exceptional skills and qualifications
  • intend to establish a business in South Africa
  • qualify as refugees in terms of Section 27(c) of the Refugees Act
  • qualify as retired persons
  • are financially independent or
  • are relatives (biologically or judicially adopted) of a South African citizen or permanent residence permit holder.